- intake time: As directed by prescriber
- action time: 3 hours
- active ingredient: Furosemide
- 10% discount to next order
- Bonus pills for your choice
- Delivery Inshurance
- Best online service
Lasix is the brand name for oral pills containing Furosemide as the active ingredient. This substance is the popular diuretic, which is widely applied all around the world.
Major Facts about the Medicine
- Lasix is the oral remedy that makes the body produce more urine in order to get rid of excess water and salt.
- It is applied to deal with fluid retention that is associated with such conditions as heart failure, hypertension, liver problems, kidney diseases and others. Its use helps to relieve breath shortness and swelling in the legs, arms and abdomen.
- This medicine is available on prescription only.
- In addition to the brand-name drug, there are generic copies. Both versions of the remedy contain the identical active substance and, naturally, provide the identical health effects. So, there is no difference for a patient except for the price ― generic products cost less. Also, there may be slight differences in the composition: to be more precise, different auxiliary components, like colorants, can be used. Such changes do not make any impact on the effectiveness or safety, but one should keep in mind that any component can cause allergic reactions, so, studying the composition of a new drug before taking it is a must. Also, a generic product can differ in the shape, color, smell or taste. Certainly, generic versions of this medicine are sold under different names, so that customers understand that these are not original pills.
How to Take Lasix
- To start with, using this remedy, you should strictly stick to the doctor’s recommendations and the regimen prescribed.
- In some cases, this medicine is prescribed in combination with another diuretic or with potassium.
- As a rule, doctors recommend using Lasix once a day ― in the morning. If one needs to take two tablets per a day, it is advisable to use the first one in the morning and the second one at lunchtime.
- Sometimes it is recommended using this medicine every other day.
- Regardless of the regimen, there is no need to use it at the same exact time. Certainly, if you plan to go out to the place where there is no toilet, it is better to avoid taking the remedy until you get back to home.
- This drug is characterized by the potent effect, that is why you had better refrain from taking it in the evening after 4 PM. Otherwise, there is a risk that you will have to wake up at night to go to the toilet.
- In most cases, one needs to pee in about half an hour after taking Lasix and again in several hours.
- This remedy does not usually affect the work of the digestive system, so, you can safely take it both on an empty stomach and after a snack or a substantial meal.
- These pills should be swallowed whole with water.
- Lasix is prescribed to patients of all ages, including elderly people and babies.
- The daily dosage varies, depending on the disease, age and other individual peculiarities of the organism. Senior patients are frequently prescribed lower doses. As for the use of the medicine for kids, the dose is determined taking into account the weight and the age.
- If you miss a dose, you can take it later on the same day. But, in case it is later than 4 PM, it is better to refrain from using this diuretic. Postpone that till the morning, but do not take the double dose, since that is dangerous. Follow the usual regimen.
- Use the remedy in strict compliance with the doctor’s instructions. Do not increase or decrease the dose without getting the specialist’s approval. Do not stop using the medicine at your sole discretion, even if your state has normalized or vice versa.
- Like any other medicine, Lasix can produce certain adverse side effects. But, in many cases, they weaken or go away as the organism gets adjusted to the product.
- The most widespread side effects include frequent and excess peeing, a decrease in the body weight (due to a loss of fluid), thirst, dryness of the mouth, headaches, dizziness, feeling confused, cramps or weakness in the muscles, nausea or vomiting, heartbeat changes. Certainly, this list is not complete. If you notice any side effects, turn to your doctor to make sure that they are not dangerous and to discuss available solutions.
- Since the medicine can cause dizziness, cycling, driving, working with machines and other activities requiring special alertness can be dangerous. Refrain from them.
- Also, it is advisable to avoid rapid changes in the position of the body. For example, if you need to stand out from a lying or sitting position, do that slowly.
- Besides, you had better refrain from consuming marijuana and alcohol when taking this medication, since that may make you feel even more dizzy.
- The use of this drug may increase your sensitivity to sun rays. So, minimize your exposure to the sun and protect the skin with a sunscreen cream. Certainly, using tanning beds is inadvisable as well.
- Use supplements or products containing potassium, if that is recommended by your doctor.
- You will need to monitor the levels of electrolytes and blood glucose (even if you do not suffer from diabetes).
- The use of this medication leads to significant losses of fluid. Diarrhea, vomiting or a fever can make that situation worse. Consequently, in the case of such health problems, you need to turn to your doctor for further instructions.
- If you plan to undergo any surgery, you should consult a doctor and make sure that you can keep on taking Lasix.
FAQs about Lasix
- What is it used for?
This remedy is meant for helping the organism to get rid of excessive salt and fluid by boosting the production of urine and increasing the amount of salt and water in it. As a result, blood pressure is normalized (lowered) and swelling is relieved.
- Is it a prescription medicine?
- How should I take it?
In most cases, doctors recommend using it once a day ― in the first half of the day. It is inadvisable to take it after 4 PM, since its effect lasts for several hours. So, it can prevent you from having enough sleep.
- When will I feel the effect?
This drug starts working within about 30–60 minutes. It may take about a week to feel the health benefits, like normalization of blood pressure. In the case of certain diseases, improvements can be imperceptible, but that does not mean that the medication does not work.
- How long will its diuretic effect last?
For about 6 hours.
- How long do I need to use it?
That depends on the diagnosis. In certain situations, patients have to take this drug for the rest of their lives.
- How much water should I drink when using Lasix?
If there are any personal restrictions for you, your doctor will warn about that. If there are no special recommendations provided, keep on drinking as usual. Make sure that you do not suffer from thirst for long periods. If you see that the urine is pale and clear, that is the sign that you drink enough water.
- Should I stick to a special diet when using it?
Like in the situation with other diuretics, you will need to restrict the consumption of salt, so that it does not exceed the daily norm ― 6 grams. If there are any additional restrictions, your doctor will definitely tell you about that.
- Should I stop using this medicine when being ill?
If you suffer from a fever, vomiting or diarrhea, consult your doctor.
- Is it safe to use this diuretic before surgery?
In most cases, no. So, be sure to discuss that with a doctor beforehand.
- Can I use it to lose weight?
Since this drug helps to get rid of excessive fluid, the body weight is decreased slightly. But it is not specifically intended for losing weight, and using it without a prescription is dangerous.
- Can it be used during the pregnancy?
As a rule, it is not prescribed to pregnant women.
All the descriptions, reviews, articles and other content published on our website are meant for informative purposes only. You should not treat our platform as a source of medical advice. We cannot guarantee that the information provided is true-to-life, up-to-date, exhaustive, accurate or correct. Before using any medicine, you should have a consultation with your doctor and get an approval and a prescription. You should never try prescription medications without discussing that with a doctor, since that may put your health (and, in some cases, even life) at risk. If you use any prescription medication without getting a prescription, you should keep in mind that you are the only one to take all the health and financial risks. We will not bear any responsibility for any negative consequences associated with your use of our website.